Saturday, September 15, 2012

South Carolina makes number 4 on the 'most miserable states' list

South Carolina on "most miserable states" list

Posted: Sep 14, 2012 10:00 AM EDT Updated: Sep 14, 2012 6:11 PM EDT

The Bloomberg network says South Carolina is the fourth most miserable state in the United States, according to a list of aggregated statistics.
Using the "misery index", a method of measuring the level of happiness or sadness in a state, combined with 13 other measurements such as income inequality, air pollution, lack of health insurance and underemployment, the network says the top five states are all in the South.
Coming in at number one is Mississippi, which the network says has an income per capita of $31,000 -- less than the national average of $39,000.
Alabama comes in at number two because of high income inequality. Number three is Louisiana, and of course, our beloved Palmetto State is number four. Filling out the dubious top five is Arkansas.
Reaction across the state has been of shock and surprise. For example, Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin doesn't agree with the metrics.
"It's very easy to sit down and look at a number of metrics on a piece of paper and that well, we're better than those guys. But every indicator that I've seen, and I'm speaking statistically but also anecdotally, when I bring my friends here from New York City and I've lived in New York City -- they'd all much rather live in South Carolina," Benjamin said.
Jasmine Edney isn't feeling the misery.
"I have a good job," she said. "You know I'm stable, I have my own place. I do think that we're underpaid in South Carolina. But I've grown up here my whole life. It's a great state."
Edney is hardly alone.
"There's cultural things here that we've got, the museums and Koger Center and we've got places we can go to do those kind of things," said Mary Jo Craft. "We've got the Gamecocks."
"Quality of life is okay," said Mark Smith of Lexington. "I wouldn't say better than okay. I don't really think it affects me some of those issues."
Mayor Benjamin believes South Carolina is doing better than Bloomberg's numbers might suggest.
"Their metrics and our metrics as to what makes a great place to live may be a little different," said Benjamin. "I believe that we have to have a safe city, a clean city. A city that's focused on job creation and one that focuses on quality of life issues like health and wellness and we're doing those things now."
"I've grown up here my whole life," said Edney. "I can't complain too much. But I'm turning 24 so I'm just now getting to that stage where all of those things really affect me."
On the flip side, the network says Minnesota is the least miserable state in the country.
Notice the one thing in common with all the most miserable states? Membership in the Southeastern Conference.
Well, at least the football is good.
Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment